Wednesday, November 7, 2007

Gary Anderson II

I am getting the expected response about my comments that race was a factor in the defeat of Gary Anderson by Sen. Mike Chaney in the insurance commissioner's race. Anderson is black; Chaney white. Again, I am not discouting the reaction of voters to the high-profile involvement of trial lawyer Dickie Scruggs in Anderson's campaign. Scruggs' money was needed by Anderson, but I think Scruggs' ego-oriented involvement in this race hurt Anderson. I also think Republican efforts and insurance-backed efforts helped the largely unknown Chaney. But racial voting is still a reality in Mississippi. It cuts both ways. Rep. John Reeves, R-Jackson, who is white, was defeated by a newcomer, Democrat Adrienne Wooten,a young African-American woman. Reeves South Jackson district now is largely African-American. Redistricting and changing demographics doomed Reeves. Reeves is a veteran lawmaker, and while I haven't always agreed with him, strongly backed Jackson, public education and most issues important to urban black voters. Not to take anything away from Ms. Wooten, I believe Reeves fell victim to racial-line voting as did Anderson. Racial voting is a reality. I hope that will change and think it will some day. We just haven't gotten there yet in Mississippi.

1 comment:

jbarnet84 said...

I am tremendously impressed at Mr. David Hampton's fortitude to hold firm his ground at his beliefs as to why Gary Anderson possibly didn't win. Gary's experience far out weighted Chaney-whom I've never heard of until election time for the (general election). Race is a factor but the people will wake up and smell the coffee espiecally in Rankin, Madison, and etc-who overwhelmingly voted the other way despite the facts in the I.C. race. I'm also optimistic. Keep up the good work David.